Jump In, you know you want to!
With the Phillips 66 USA National Swimming championships about to begin, I am sure you are fired up to finally, finally take on this beautiful aquatic sport! Well, there is no time like the present. Enough procrastinating. Make the choice to make the difference in 2018, even if there are only a few more months left in the year. And SWIMMING is that difference. A gentle reminder, you don’t have to be as fast as Caeleb Dressel or Simone Manuel to benefit from my favorite sport!
Here are 7 reasons you should start swimming now.
1. Love Your Heart! Sadly, heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. It’s only a sad story if we choose to do nothing about it. Now is that time to be strong and give your heart the TLC it needs. A workout in the pool works your heart like nothing else and it is evident when we have a hard time catching our breath after just a few laps. Trust me, I started swimming on a team when I was 4 years old and it was soon after that when I learned the phrase “cardiovascular workout.” It’s built into the activity.
2. Stress Reliever. This is the kind of workout that melts the stress away. You have no choice but to zone out and clear your head. It’s just you, the song in your head, the sound of swishing water and a little black line. Take in the serenity and let out the stress with each exhale. Breath control is a huge part of a swimming workout, which is not unlike a yoga workout. So think of it as a way to reconnect with your breath and, with each breath, you are distressing.
3. Get The Goal. You have been saying it for years. “I should swim.” I know this because I hear it from my friends all the time. And, YES, you should swim. So, enough Mrs. Nice Friend. I am not going to listen to it any more, get your butt in the pool people! I know why you want to swim. You want to do that triathlon and the swim is the only thing standing between you and the start line…and ultimately the finish line. I can sympathize. Swimming in a triathlon is daunting but if you get in the pool and tackle that fear, you will survive the swim portion of your Tri, thus providing yourself with two finish lines during your triathlon; one when you finish the swim and two when you cross the regular finish line. Double celebration!
4. Your Joints Need It. Do you really want new hips and knees in your near future? Didn’t think so. Start now and treat your joints with the extra care they deserve. Being weightless in the water is so very good for your joints. Just think for a second at how you have beaten up on your body over the years. I always joke with my land loving friends and say; “We all go to the water at some point in our lives.” It’s usually for physical therapy. So, don’t wait for that, get your H2O time in before you need it and give your body a little R&R while getting a workout.
5. Warm Locations. Swimming takes you to some gorgeous warm weather locations. I know it may seem cold but even in the winter time, with snow all around you, laying a in an outdoor pool warms the soul. And, honestly, nobody really cares what you look like in a swimsuit when you can swim! Just imagine, once you become “one” with the water and everything that surrounds the beautiful world of swimming, your vacation world is open ended.
6. Workout and a Shower. This bit of knowledge comes both from my 76-year-old dad and my 10-year-old son. Any time I ask either if they are going to shower their response is often, “No, I went swimming.” It does depend on the pool but my dad’s is salt water and he swears by it’s cleaning ability. Regardless of your personal hygiene style, a good soak/swim is the perfect way to freshen up morning, afternoon or night. No judgments here.
7. The New Year, The New You! Or at least a semi-chlorinated you. I realize it is almost August but I don’t want you to forget about all the things you wanted to do for yourself in the New Year. It’s still the New Year. In fact, I always view the kids first day of school as the REAL first day of the new year. So, if on your list was to try something new that will change your life, fuel your mind, body and spirit, and make you smile, well, welcome to the swimming family…Get comfortable with chlorine.